My Bookshelf

Sunday 23 June 2013

Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis


So I know I told you all about my weekend in Bath last week but what I didn't say was my highlight: finding a copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Latin... who knew?! No offence to Caecillius, but Latin could have been a whole lot more interesting learning about Dominus et Domina Dursley and Harrius Potter.


JK Rowling's Potter series has been translated into over 70 different languages and variations now but just how do you translate all the spells, incantations and place names? To readers of English, the latin phrases are, in most cases, recognisable without too much explanation, but what if you're reading in Asia or Africa? Of course you could just leave the words as they are but some translators have gone the extra mile and created different names that have more meaning to their readers. For instance, in Hindi editions of the novels, the Sanskrit has been used to create the same effect.



   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment